How are you?
It’s #ThankfulThursday today and I am thankful for my healthy new lifestyle which has resulted in WEIGHT LOSS!! Yessss!! I finally can say that I have lost some weight!
I can visibly see the weight loss this time… Now, let me tell you, it’s been a journey and a half, filled with fad diets, waist trainers and body shapers, which turned out to be a total waste of time.
It’s not like i’ve reached my goal weight but this is worth celebrating and sharing the little knowledge i have acquired along the way.
Without being loopy, I can finally say that the secret to weight loss is YOU!!!
It all begins with YOU!
Are you shocked or confused? Yep, it is YOU! You are the secret weapon!
Getting fit, losing weight and staying healthy starts with YOU...creating the time.
Time to; prepare healthy meals, work out, sleep, schedule your day, etc.
Who creates that time?! You!!
A lot of us want to write out/cancel 2020 and literally cast it into the Atlantic ocean, as much as i’d love to do that… one undeniably thing we’ve been gifted this year is TIME… being locked down, safe at home and super conscious of our environment has given us spare time...time to reflect, renew and recreate.
Initially, I was overwhelmed, confused and went on an eating and binge watching marathon like I had never done. Then, i stumbled on a quote by Alan Watts which says 'You're under no obligation to be the same person you were 5 minutes ago.'
This quote was just what I needed to understand that the couch potato I was the day before does not define me forever; I can always be better, strive to do better and improve my life.
The next day, I created a schedule and carved out 2 hours out of each day that was ALL MINE!! Those two hours are taken with gratitude and a little bit of selfishness which enable me to focus on my mind, body, health and spirituality.
With lots of patience and consistency, the results are now distinctly visible.
Here are some tidbits that helped me and keep helping me on this healthy lifestyle journey:
- Create time for yourself, either in the morning or evening
- Determine what form of exercise suits you best: Walking, Cardio, Yoga, Zumba, Pilates, Cycling, Jogging, etc - i tried running and you can see the result on my elbow in the picture below, LOL!
- Pick your preferred activity and make it fun
- Use this time for self-reflection, listening to good music or a great podcast.
- Intermittent Fasting - this one has taught me ‘Mind over matter’.. My mantra is “I control me!! Food does not control me” LOL
- Be consistent; even if you fall off the wagon, dust yourself up and get back on it!
- Be patient!! The results show after a few months, chill and enjoy the process.
- Have an accountability partner; someone you can share your goals, gains and losses with. Make sure that person is supportive and not judge-y o!!
- Sleep!! -as an ex-self-diagnosed-insomniac, this is so important!! I have trained myself to sleep for at least 8 hours, with the occasional naps.
Try not to limit yourself by dwelling on the past or even your current situation. Doing that is like driving with your eyes fixed on the rearview mirror…. You know what’ll happen…
You are doing amazing things already and you can always change your future, starting from the great choices you make today.
P.S: These little tidbits have also helped me in other facets of my life, so it is definitely not limited to weight loss.
It is super important for mums and parents in general to find time to engage in activities which help them get or stay fit and active, because our little superstars need us to be here for a very very long time.
It all starts with you Mama!!